Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Getting Things Done

Today I am 30 weeks along!  My, my...that is just a wee bit scary.  Hard to believe that in approximately two months we are going to be officially....(gulp)....parents.  Yikes!  When did that happen?  We still have a lot to do to get ready too. (Or as ready as one can get I suppose.)  Phil has finished painting Baby Love's room and we have a closet full of pink clothes (they are just sooooo hard to resist!), and a few hand me down items we got from some friends. But other than that we still have a lot of baby gear shopping to do. Seriously....how can something so tiny need so much stuff!?!?!?!   But fortunately, thanks to some very generous Grandparents we do have a crib and rocker ordered, and we are just waiting on their delivery (which may are may not be before baby girl's arrival).  We also have an antique dresser that was my aunt's when she was a little girl and then passed on to me as a child, which is currently being refinished by Grandpa.

Also we are working on other projects around the house that are long overdue.  As mentioned before I have undertaken the task of sorting, organizing, filing and shredding several years worth of neglected paperwork.  With all of our moves in the past few years we sort of just let it all accumulate.  Note to self.....Don't Ever Let That Happen Again!  Serious nightmare.  (Also I really don't want to end up on the show Hoarders when I am older.  Those people have serious issues!)  It's taken me a couple weeks, but I can just now see the light at the end of the tunnel.  It's taken a lot of time to open up old mail (yes, that is just how badly we neglected some of our mail that accumulated while we were overseas), sort through it and decide what is important to keep and what is not.  Plus in order to sort through said paperwork the only system I could devise was multitudes of somewhat organized stacks scattered across the floor of our "bonus" room upstairs.  And this requires an almost 7 month pregnant woman to sit on the floor and maneuver her less than nimble and agile self (not to mention much heavier self) around as she sorts and stacks.  Let's just say that it has been seriously slooooooooow moving.  Which is pretty much the only way I get things done these days anyway.  But the more and more of the carpet that emerges from under the paper tiling I created, the more encouraged I am that it will actually get done.  Some day.  Soon.  Hopefully.  Maybe?

Another large project is finally getting around to having the backyard landscaped.  As beautiful as the pile of dirt and tumble weeds are (NM landscape at it's finest), we're ready for a more usable backyard space.  We've had several landscapers out to look at the space and are just starting to get quotes in.  And all I have to say is...Yikes!  Landscaping is not cheap.  Originally we had planned it to be a DIY project.  But considering Phil is currently undergoing physical therapy for his arm, shoulder and back issues (caused by serious overwork during the holiday season) and I am almost as big as an elephant, we figured that probably wasn't the best route to take anymore.  And especially since once little Baby Love arrives I doubt either of us will be wanting to spend what teeny tiny (okay, non-existent) bit of free time we might have slaving in the backyard as we learn the magical art of laying paver stones. Now it's just a matter of deciding on which company we think we can trust to do a good job, meet our needs, not mess up the drainage in the backyard and not take all our money.   Easier said than done.  Hopefully we'll be able to make the decision soon and get this project underway.  It would be really nice to be able to enjoy our backyard and beautiful view this summer instead of letting the bunnies overtake our backyard.....which they may have already done.   I'm pretty sure we saw a rabbit hole out there the other day.  And although the patio furniture looks lovely in our front room, I'm pretty sure it will look nicer out on a lovely patio overlooking the Sandia Mountains.   

Other than that and the horrible howling wind that makes Spring here rather unpleasant, things have been rather quiet.  I see my midwife again next week, as I see her now every two weeks instead of every four.  So far everything has been going great and I'm sure I'll have an update for you then!





1 comment:

  1. I'm first!!! Glad you are almost finished with the piles of information. Hope the patio project goes smoothly. As for Grandma, she's excited that the time is getting shorter--the quilt pieces are being cut and if I had the machine and you and I had laddered (Is that a word?) the pieces, it would be well on its way to being useable. Take care and love you bunches, Mom

    ReplyDelete