So yesterday I had another two week check up with my midwife. (Getting to hear Baby Love's heart beat every two weeks is great, but I could deal without peeing in a cup every time.) Everything is still going great and Baby Love seems to be growing well. I passed my Glucose tolerance test (which is a screening test for Gestational Diabetes) several weeks ago with flying colors. In fact, I was a serious overachiever and my midwife was shocked by my results. (Pretty sure I haven't overachieved at anything since my early college years...so that made me feel quite pleased with myself.) Basically they make you drink a sickeningly sweet (not to mention toxic orange colored) drink and check your blood sugar after an hour to see how well your body removes the sugar from your blood stream. If you fail, you have to go back and take another 3 hour test with multiple blood draws, that checks your blood sugar over the course of 3 hours. SO glad I don't have to endure that one, especially because I think you have to fast for the 3 hour test. And you don't want to mess with a fasting pregnant lady! I saw a woman there in the middle of her 3 hour test while I was doing the 1 hour test and she looked absolutely miserable. Plus I don't know if it was because of the drink or just coincidental, but I felt horrible for the rest of the day, so I can't imagine how I would feel after the 3 hour test.
My midwife said that I continue to look great both on paper (weight, blood pressure, glucose test, etc.) and in person. Also she thinks that little Baby Love is in the head down position now. Up until yesterday I thought she was in the breech position (she was at our 20 week anatomy scan), and my midwife hadn't been able to feel her head in my lower abdomen yet. Although that's perfectly normal, most babies don't turn upside down until 32+ weeks, it's comforting to know that she is already in the right position because breech babies that don't turn in time are pretty much a first class (okay, probably more like a coach) ticket to the OR and a lovely C-section. And my midwife suspects that she will likely stay head down for the remainder of the pregnancy. So I just hope she does! All I know is that she is a super busy girl, kicking, moving and rolling around and kindly pressing her cute little head up against my bladder. And recently I think she has started to get the hiccups. I love feeling all these movements because I know it means she is active and healthy. And when she cooperates, Phil is able to put his hand on my belly and feel all her little spastic movements too. I really wish I had a hidden camera inside my uterus as I am very curious as to what she is up to in there all day (and night!).
Here's a pic of me from a couple of days ago in the nursery. Phil just finished touching up the stripes so her room is just waiting for furniture now! And I think that my cute little baby bump has officially turned into a hump. It's hard to believe that there is still two more months of growing to do. Both Phil and I find it hard to believe that I can actually get any bigger. We're just waiting for the Turkey Timer (aka my belly button) to pop! Hopefully it will hang in there a little bit longer!
My midwife said that I continue to look great both on paper (weight, blood pressure, glucose test, etc.) and in person. Also she thinks that little Baby Love is in the head down position now. Up until yesterday I thought she was in the breech position (she was at our 20 week anatomy scan), and my midwife hadn't been able to feel her head in my lower abdomen yet. Although that's perfectly normal, most babies don't turn upside down until 32+ weeks, it's comforting to know that she is already in the right position because breech babies that don't turn in time are pretty much a first class (okay, probably more like a coach) ticket to the OR and a lovely C-section. And my midwife suspects that she will likely stay head down for the remainder of the pregnancy. So I just hope she does! All I know is that she is a super busy girl, kicking, moving and rolling around and kindly pressing her cute little head up against my bladder. And recently I think she has started to get the hiccups. I love feeling all these movements because I know it means she is active and healthy. And when she cooperates, Phil is able to put his hand on my belly and feel all her little spastic movements too. I really wish I had a hidden camera inside my uterus as I am very curious as to what she is up to in there all day (and night!).
Here's a pic of me from a couple of days ago in the nursery. Phil just finished touching up the stripes so her room is just waiting for furniture now! And I think that my cute little baby bump has officially turned into a hump. It's hard to believe that there is still two more months of growing to do. Both Phil and I find it hard to believe that I can actually get any bigger. We're just waiting for the Turkey Timer (aka my belly button) to pop! Hopefully it will hang in there a little bit longer!
Thanks for the new photo. Love to see and hear the progress. Can't wait to see you in person this weekend. Love you and Phil and Baby Love bunches. Mom
ReplyDeleteMelissa....your reporting is wonderful...I can almost feel Baby Love kicking also....Just 2 more months [ I realize the "just" may be the wrong word here], butwe are getting excited...Love, Sarasota Dad
ReplyDeleteHi, Melissa
ReplyDeleteSorry I haven't posted for a while but I did not know how to find your blog (you know how computer challenged I am). I just finished catching up with the last three blogs and am now ready to stay current.
Great writing, as always. It almost feels like I am there with you.
Have Philip kiss Baby Love for me and a special hug to you and Philip.
Love, Lynn
You look great, honey. It's crazy how big your belly's able to get, my turkey timer never popped, but it was completely flat for the last couple of weeks. So glad you passed the diabetes test with flying colors. I hated it, I got such a sugar rush I almost fainted in the waiting room, and had to go back and lie down on one of those extremely uncomfortable "beds" in a patient room for the rest of the hour.
ReplyDeleteLove the nursery colors, btw!
Cat