Thursday, March 17, 2011

Pregnancy Brain

I have to admit, I wasn't so sure this alleged pregnancy brain existed.  I thought maybe pregnant women were just using it as an excuse for their "blond" moments.  I stand corrected.  Today I happily displayed my bright green shirt in honor of St. Patty's Day.  Just like I did a month ago on Feb. 17th because I thought THAT was St. Patrick's Day. 

Then tonight I had plans to make a lovely chicken, roasted garlic, mushroom and caramelized onion pizza.  I know...it sounds delicious doesn't it?  So last night I carefully placed the frozen chicken breast in the fridge so it could safely defrost overnight.  First thing I spaced was the roasted garlic.  Okay, no biggie.  We don't need no stinkin' garlic anyway.  Then I went to unwrap the chicken, only to find my chicken breast disguised as 2 nice fillets of Tilapia.  Tilapia pizza anyone!?!?  Yeah, that made me gag a little bit too.  Okay, so now we are down to a mushroom and caramelized onion pizza (with green chile for Phil because he's more New Mexican than I am).  So I take out the pre-sliced mushrooms (because pregnancy also makes you lazy) and give them a little whiff.  Okay, they smell a little bit funky.  But for some reason I go ahead and start sauteing them up anyway.  The whole time I am sauteing them I keep thinking they smell a little off.  BUT one's nose does do strange things when pregnant so I continue on.  Then I taste one.  Initially they taste fine but then I decide that they have a funky aftertaste.  Normally I would throw caution to the wind and plop them on the pizza and chow down.  But after reading several pregnancy books and having the fear of God put into me that I might accidentally kill my unborn child by eating any food that isn't farm fresh, scrubbed clean of all it's sinister microbes and cooked within an inch of it's life  (I can and will write an entire post about this later), I chose not to risk it.  Which is probably what I should have done in the first place instead of wasting my time cooking them even though I knew the entire time that I wasn't going to want to eat them because I would rather not be up all night worrying about what the "bad" mushrooms might have done to little Baby Love.

So in the end we had a half green chile and a half caramelized onion/sun dried tomato pizza.  Certainly not my finest culinary moment but not like the disaster when I accidentally put salt instead of sugar into my blueberry muffins.  If you only could have seen the look on Phil's face when he bit into one of those.  Priceless. And that one I couldn't even blame on pregnancy brain.  Okay, so maybe I was right in the first place.  Maybe pregnancy brain IS just a way to temporarily get a reprieve from ridicule for all the stupid things one does.  But that's not going to stop me from using it as an excuse while I still can!










2 comments:

  1. And I thought there were only "senior moments" which I am totally familiar and comfortable with, as anyone who spends time with me is aware. Love you bunches, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny Keep 'em coming...Sarasota Dad

    ReplyDelete