Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Transitions

I know, I know.  Big time slacker!  My excuses are as follows.....1)  Elodie is only taking 2 naps a day now, therefore less time to blog, 2)  Elodie is not always so amused when Mommy does not pay attention to her, making concentrating very difficult,  3)  Elodie eats like a horse......I spend a lot of my free time making and freezing her food, and 4) our poor sweet girl has been sick all weekend with her very first fever.    Is that enough for you?  Or shall I whip up a few more?  ;)

I'll fill you in on Elodie and her poor sick little self soon.  (This blog has been in progress the last week or so and I just want to get it out and then poor thing got sick and I got even more behind.)  As of right now we don't have many answers anyway.  She's been feverish but no other symptoms.  The doctor is trying to figure out if it's viral or bacterial.  The last few days have been a little splintered, our schedule has gone out the door and my super good eater has been refusing most food.  She's so sad it hurts my heart to look at her.   I knew something was up on Sunday when she just wanted to lay on my chest and rest her head on my shoulder.  Usually she's busy trying to yank my hair, grab my face or reach for anything and everything she can possibly find.  We're just in wait and watch mode right now.  Just hoping it either passes or some new symptoms develop that might shed light onto what is bothering her.  Now onto the original blog.....

Yes, Elodie has successfully transitioned from 3 to 2 naps, and all things considered it was a rather smooth transition.  She essentially just started resisting her late afternoon nap.  She adjusted to day light savings time beautifully and since the loss of the third nap she is often in bed by 6:45 pm, sometimes even as early as 6:30.  That's my girl.  She takes after her Momma.  She loves her some good sleep.

And some good food.  Since we introduced finger foods she has transitioned well to "real"  foods.  She rarely wants purees anymore as she prefers to feed herself.  So I've been getting busy in the kitchen trying out new recipes for her as I don't think she's quite ready to eat what we eat......especially the super-spicy-bring-a grown-man(aka Phil)-to-tears dishes.  So far I've made her zucchini/cheddar muffins, sweet potato/apple pancakes, potato pancakes with zucchini and carrots and also little mini "meat loaves" made with ground turkey and various grated veggies.   And now that I've written that all out it sounds like I have a very spoiled daughter!  Really, I just want her to eat healthy right now as she has the whole rest of her life to make poor eating choices like her Dad and I do more than we really care to admit.  And also of course I do enjoy it and I secretly hope she will develop into a little foodie someday.  So far she's liked it all, although it will be hard to top her love for Joe's O's.  Boy does she love those things.  Great for distracting a cranky baby whilst in the middle of Target.  (And so far since she's been sick that's about all she's been willing to eat!)


In the past couple weeks or so she has also dramatically reduced the amount of milk she drinks.  I was a little worried that she wasn't getting enough, but after talking to her pediatrician and some good friends, I feel better at where we are at.  I'm still nursing and pumping although I'm toying with the idea of weaning.   It's certainly something I need to think about and make sure that I'm ready to do though, because once it's done, it's done.  I'd like to tough it out until one year but we'll just have to see.  I do know one thing is for sure.  I could get used to this new found freedom of not being an all you can eat milk bar from sun up to sun down!

In fact, Elodie pretty much refuses all milk (whether straight from the tap, in a bottle or sippy cup) after her afternoon nap until her nighttime Mega-bottle.  Occasionally I can get a whole whopping ounce in her if I put it in a sippy cup.   So last weekend I used this window of time to get out of the house.  Alone.  And guess what I happily did?  Went grocery shopping!  And I enjoyed it more than I really care to admit.  I hadn't been to Trader Joe's or "Whole Paycheck" since before she was born and oh, man....did it feel good.  I know most Mom's would probably spend that time out getting a pedicure or something but really, just browsing through the stores and looking at all the wonderful new products was pretty darn exciting for me.  Sad but true.  I do want to add that the main reason I haven't been to either of those places (besides the fact that I'm crazy and neurotic and keep a very tight schedule with Elodie--or so Phil would say), is because they are all the way on the other side of town.  No such thing as a "quick" trip, especially with a baby in tow.

I've also been out to lunch.  A lot.  Way more than I probably should.  Since Elodie can be awake longer stretches now, it's fairly easy to get out for lunch.  Some days I go by myself.  Some days we meet Phil.  And some days I meet a friend.  Okay, my only friend. *sniff, sniff* (Can you hear the tiny little violin playing?)   Elodie

And speaking of Elodie becoming mobile.  She's SO close to crawling it's scary.  Even without crawling she sure does manage to get around well.  She scoots around on her cutie little booty and pretty much never stays in one place.  When she does try to crawl she usually ends up going backwards.  She's also learned how to sit up from lying on her belly.  In fact, the day after I had Phil lower her crib to the lowest setting, I came in after her nap to find her sitting up in it.  And I've seen her fall on her back when playing (she gets really excited I tell ya'!) and then she immediately rolled onto her belly and pushed herself back to sit.  Awwww..... my little girl is growing up so fast.  I'm SO not ready for her to crawl or walk yet.  She is interested in anything and everything and I can just tell she is going to be Trouble with a capital T. 

Checking out the chair Grandpa made.

Trouble!

So close!

Big girl sitting up in her crib.  She's crying because I left the room to grab the camera real quick.

I guess that's about it for now.  I'll try to keep you posted on Elodie's health. Like I said we are just sort of waiting it out for now and hoping whatever it is passes soon.  She seems a little better this afternoon but I don't want to get my hopes up yet.  Hopefully she's back to her usual self soon because she really is sad and pathetic looking when she doesn't feel good.....


Sorry if this is full of errors and kind of disjointed, but I didn't want to take too much more time to get it out!  Oh, and there are a lot more pictures on my Facebook page in case you haven't seen them yet!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update! She's going to be moving about before you know it . . . watch out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa....Sorry for all your problems, but I believe childhood illneses help a baby in the long run....Keep smiling, Love, Sarasota Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. precious pictures of our little darling. We miss her so much. Please give her a kiss and hug from Grandma Lynn.

    ReplyDelete